- Research Fellow at IZA.
- Professorial Research Fellow at the Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Director of International Relations at PSE.
- Co-director of the CEPREMAP Well-Being Observatory.
- Web of Science Highly-Cited Researcher.
Acronym information (AKA "PSE, PSE. So good they named it twice"): I used to be at DELTA, but now I'm at PSE. That's because DELTA merged with CERAS and the two research groups of CEPREMAP to form PSE, which thus now has four different governing bodies (CNRS-EHESS-ENPC-ENS). I hope that everything is now clear. But of course, four is not really enough, so in January 2010 we merged with INRA-LEA (who are already on the Jourdan campus), adding the INRA as a fifth governing body. And in 2020 INRA merged with IRSTEA to become INRAE.
Oh, and PSE is sort of joining forces with (some of) University Paris 1 to form the Paris School of Economics. To sum up, I am at PSE, which is part of PSE.
And to prove it's true, we have finally moved to a new building, still on the Jourdan campus. And we were all happy ever after (apart from the shutters that don't shut).
But wait! PSE may well become part of PSL, and has a new programme called PGSE. And no, I am not making this up.
Applied Microeconomics. The use of job and life satisfaction data to analyse labour market phenomena. Modelling the utility function: comparisons and habituation. Social interactions, and social learning. Job quality. The economic analysis of drug markets and cigarette consumption. Generallly funky stuff.
Thèmes de recherche
Microéconomie Appliquée. L'analyse du marché du travail en faisant appel aux données sur la satisfaction dans le travail et la satisfaction dans la vie. La modélisation de la fonction d'utilité : normes, comparaisons et accoutumance. Les interactions sociales et l'apprentissage social. La qualité de l'emploi. L'analyse économique de la consommation des produits à risque.
A Full CV in PDF format is here.
|Social Science Citations Index:||11 000|
|Google Scholar (Top 5):||14 400
|Google Scholar:||35 900|
|Social Science Citations Index:||40|
|March 2020||City University, LSE
|April 2020||RES PhD symposium (Belfast), PAA 2020 Annual
|May 2020||BESH Research Symposium on Wellbeing (KU
|June 2020||New Zealand Association of Economists
|August 2021||IARIW (Oslo)
Supervision of Masters Dissertations: 48
PhD Juries: 74
Aix Marseille Université (2), Brunel, Copenhagen (2), EHESS (18), Erasmus University Rotterdam, Imperial, Kingston, Leeds, London School of Economics (2), Louvain la Neuve, Luxembourg, Lyon 2 (5), Maastricht, Maryland, Nottingham (2), Orléans, Paris 1 (11), Paris 2, Paris X, Paris 12, Paris Dauphine (3), Queensland, Rome Tor Vergata, Royal Holloway College, Université de Savoie, Sheffield (2), Siena, Staffordshire, Stockholm, Strasbourg 1, Université Libre de Bruxelles (2), Warwick (3), University of Western Australia.
Editorial* Revue d’Economie Politique (2004-)
* Advances in Research on Quality of Life (2005-)
* Review of Income and Wealth (2010-)
* International Review of Economics (2011-)
* Evidence-based HRM (2011-)
* International Journal of Happiness and Development (2011-)
* Journal of Health Economics (2016-)
* Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (2018-)
* Journal of Population Economics (2018-)
* Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization (2008-2011)
* Italian Economic Review/ Rivista Italiana Degli Economisti (2011-2014)
* British Journal of Industrial Relations (2010-2014)
* Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy (2011-2017)
* Journal of Happiness Studies (2000-2018)
Refereeing: Journals. 1160+ Referee's Reports for 226 Journals:
Actualité Economique Journal of Banking and Finance Advances in Cognitive Psychology Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis Advances in Life Course Research Journal of Bioeconomics African Review of Economics and Finance Journal of Comparative Economics American Economic Journal: Applied Economics Journal of Development Economics American Economic Journal: Economic Policy Journal of Development Studies American Economic Journal: Macro Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization* American Economic Review* Journal of Economic Inequality* American Journal of Agricultural Economics Journal of Economic Literature American Journal of Health Economics Journal of Economic Psychology* American Journal of Political Science Journal of Economic Surveys American Psychologist Journal of European Social Policy American Sociological Review Journal of Evolutionary Economics Annales d'Economie et de Statistique Journal of Family and Economic Issues Applied Economics Journal of Happiness Studies* Applied Economics Letters Journal of Health Economics* Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy Journal of Human Capital Applied Economics Quarterly Journal of Human Development Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being Journal of Human Resources Applied Research in Quality of Life* Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics BMC Public Health Journal of Labor Economics British Journal of Industrial Relations* Journal of Labor Research British Journal of Sociology Journal of Law, Economics and Organization Bulletin of Economic Research Journal of Medical Economics Business and Society Review Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics Cambridge Journal of Economics Journal of Official Statistics Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences Journal of Personality and Social Psychology* Canadian Journal of Economics Journal of Political Economy Children and Youth Services Review Journal of Population Economics* China Economic Review Journal of Positive Psychology Contemporary Economic Policy Journal of Public Economics* Cross-Cultural Research Journal of Public Policy Current Psychology Journal of Research in Personality Demographic Research Journal of Social Policy Demography Journal of Socio-Economics Developmental Psychology Journal of Sports Economics Development Southern Africa Journal of the European Economic Association Drug and Alcohol Dependence Journal of the Japanese and International Economies Drustvena istrazivanja Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A Eastern Economic Journal Journal of Urban Economics Econometrica Labour* Economia Internazionale Labour Economics* Economic and Labour Relations Review Management International Economic Development and Cultural Change Management Science Economic Inquiry Mind and Society Economic Journal* Mondes en Développement Economic Modelling Nature Human Behaviour Economic Policy OECD Journal: Economic Studies Economic Systems Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics Economic and Industrial Democracy Oxford Economic Papers* Economic and Social Review Oxford Review of Economic Policy Economica* Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology Economics Papers in Regional Science Economics and Human Biology Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin Economics and Philosophy Perspectives on Psychological Science Economics Bulletin PLOS ONE Economics Letters* Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Economics of Education Review Psychological Bulletin Economics of Governance Psychological Science Economics of Transition Public Finance Review Economie et Prévision Quality of Life Research Economie et Statistique Quarterly Journal of Economics* Employee Relations Recherches Economiques de Louvain Empirica Regional Science and Urban Economics Empirical Economics Regional Studies Environment and Planning A Reinvention: a Journal of Undergraduate Research European Economic Review* Research on Aging European Journal of Health Economics Review of Behavioral Economics European Journal of Industrial Relations Review of Economic Studies European Journal of Operational Research Review of Economics and Statistics* European Journal of Political Economy Review of Economics of the Household* European Societies Review of Finance European Sociological Review Review of Income and Wealth* Evidence-based HRM Review of Industrial Organization Evolution & Human Behavior Revue d'Economie Politique Feminist Economics Revue Economique Frontiers in Finance and Economics Ricerche Economiche Games and Economic Behavior Rivista Italiana degli Economisti Gender, Work and Organization Scandinavian Journal of Economics Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography Schmollers Jahrbuch German Economic Review Science* Health Economics * Science Advances Health Policy Scottish Journal of Political Economy* History of the Human Sciences Small Business Economics Human Relations* Social Choice and Welfare Human Resource Management Journal Social Forces Industrial and Labor Relations Review* Social Indicators Research* Industrial Relations * Social Science and Medicine* Industrial Relations Journal SSM - Population Health International Economic Review Social Science Information International Journal of Business and Economics Social Science Journal International Journal of Epidemiology Social Science Quarterly International Journal of Happiness and Development Social Science Research International Journal of Management and Decision Making Sociological Methods and Research International Journal of Manpower* Sociology of Education International Journal of Public Opinion Research Socio-Economic Review International Journal of Social Welfare Southern Economic Journal International Journal of Well-Being Statistics in Transition new series International Labour Review Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics International Migration Review The B.E. Journals in Economic Analysis & Policy International Review of Economics The B.E. Journals of Theoretical Economics International Review of Economics and Finance The Manchester School International Small Business Journal Theory and Decision International Socal Science Journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice International Sociology Transportation Research Part F: Psychology and Behaviour International Tax and Public Finance Vienna Yearbook of Population Research IZA Journal of Labor Economics VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations IZA Journal of Labor Policy Wellbeing, Space & Society IZA Journal of Migration Work and Occupations IZA World of Labor World Bank Economic Review Japanese Economic Review World Development* Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion
Journal of Applied Econometrics
Journal of Applied Economics
Journal of Applied Gerontology
* = 10 or more referee's reports
Refereeing: Books (20)* Cambridge Scholars Publishing
* Cambridge University Press
* Editions Flammarion
* La Decouverte
* MIT Press
* Oxford University Press
* Princeton University Press
* Temple University Press
* World Bank
Refereeing: Projects (71)* AAP-Paris-Seine
* ANR (France)
* Austrian Science Fund
* AXA (France)
* Belgian Fund for Scientific Research – FNRS
* British Academy
* Croatian Science Foundation
* ECOS-Sud (France)
* ESRC (UK)
* European Research Council
* Falk Institute for Economic Research (Israel)
* FCAR (Canada)
* FCI (Canada)
* FWO (Belgium)
* Health Research Board (Ireland)
* INCA (France)
* Israel Science Foundation
* Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
* Leverhulme Trust (UK)
* Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR)
* MIUR (Italy)
* Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development
* Nuffield Foundation (UK)
* NWO (Holland)
* Polish National Science Centre
* Singapore Ministry of Education
* SSHRC (Canada)
* Swiss National Science Foundation
|London School of Economics, 1989.|
|Visiting Assistant Professor||Dartmouth College, 1989-1991|
|Senior Research Officer||University of Essex, 1991-1993|
|Visiting Research Fellow||CEPREMAP, 1993-1994|
|Visiting Research Fellow||DELTA, 1994-1995|
|Chargé de Recherche, CNRS||University of Orléans, 1997-2000|
|Directeur de Recherche, CNRS||University of Orléans, 2000-2001|
|Directeur de Recherche, CNRS||DELTA/PSE, 2001-|
Many many interesting things about fairness and well-being research can be found in the following places
Equally interesting things about football can be found in the following places
- Football results and gossip from the first five divisions in England can be found at soccernet.
- Are Leyton Orient the worst team in London? This site will let you know.
- Are you sad enough to want to know the results from League Division Eight? See here then.
- US Palaiseau! Easily the best team in, er, Palaiseau.
And we all know that you can never listen to enough music while you're working.
- Who Said Hip-Hop was Dead? Quannum and Solesides refute the case.
- And check out Deep Puddle Dynamics for some serious What The Hell moments.
- Who Said Finns Can't Rap? Oh look, here's another one. And what's more....broken beats, sub-bass and grainy video: Antiall have it all. I used to have a link to them, but it has disappeared into the Ether....
- Wobbly Ambient Electronica is cool. Boards of Canada's turntable is playing at the wrong speed.
- Who Said a Triple Lead Guitar Attack was Passé? Run for the hills (of Arkansas), where Black Oak Arkansas will show you what you've been missing (nice washboard too).
- Uspenski Cathedral in Helsinki has a pretty good choir. Check out the bass.
- How minimal can you get? Richie Hawtin knows.
- I can't remember the way you used to be: the Charlatans (UK).
- Doors......lead to other doors. The Associates.
- This Ain't Really Life; It's Nothing But A Movie. Gil Scott-Heron.
- With a movie camera - The Cinematic Orchestra.
- And more radio than you can throw a stick at: Iceberg Radio.
- Any label which signed Don Armando's Second Avenue Rhumba Band is OK with me: Ze Records.
- Bass for your Face: Public Enemy.
- Groove Salad: "Listener-supported, commercial-free, underground/alternative radio broadcasting from San Francisco". That's what it says on their website.
- Damon and Naomi. Listen to Beautiful Close Double....and weep.
- Finger Licking Good Y'All. Time to remember how good Trouble Funk were.
- I reckon Burial is ice-washed deep-space soul. But then again what the hell do I know?
- This is the best ever old-school song; unfortunately so is this. No, wait a minute: this is surely even better...
- I like Fools' Gold as much as the next man or woman, but here's another total gem from the Stone Roses.
- Lemmy gives his opinion on certain journal referees. Actually it's Larry Wallis, ex-Pink Fairies, on vocals.
- Ah, preposterous: the magnificent I, Ludicrous.
- And what did Tim Gaine sound like before Stereolab, you ask? Actually like this Indie Wah-Wah classic. I seem to remember that McCarthy came from Barking, where I lived when I wrote my thesis. Or was that the Wolfhounds? Or the Godfathers?
- And all of this is just imagination: Shriekback.
- Being a moderately poor guitar player myself, I am partial to wig-outs. Here are two mighty fine ones, both old and new.
- Never liked KJ that much, but this is monstrous.
- Two minutes of horn-driven madness: The Ohio Players back in the days...
- And the Fear: What's that for?
- Alex Harvey helped to make me what I am today. It's his fault.
- Super Collider will melt your speakers: it's official.
- You Ain't Got the Bait to Hook This. Bahamadia.
- Dansez Dansez Yeah: San Fan Thomas.
- Dad on the Dance Floor alert. We are all Wicki Wacky
- Memories of Warwick Folk Club: the wonderful Mick Stuart
Dubious Links between Research and Music Department.
- The 2001 Economica paper includes lyrics from the great Eubie Blake.
- The 2008 International Journal of Manpower paper is named after a Billy Bragg song.
- The 2008 Economic Journal paper includes a line from Gimme a Bullet.
- The 2016 OUP chapter (the Bartolini one) contains a carefully-shoehorned lyric from Wham Rap.
- One of our religion papers was inspired by the monumental Black Oak Arkansas ("Our Religion Is Music")
- Our new work on Adaptation in the East will, I hope, include a line from Billy Bragg's St Swithin's Day.
- The short summary paper in Keio Economic Studies is named after a Rush song (I know, I know).
- The Introduction to the November EJ Features contains a reflection on Chicory Tip.
- I would like to write a paper on the absence of compensating differentials called "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap". But I probably won't.
Identify the Lyrics Department. Know which songs these come from?
- "Here I am, growing up and growing old. Watching my friends swallow cultures whole"
- "Jobs for the boys, and a tip for the wrecking crew. Truth of it is that it's plain you've not got a clue"
- "Your words twist and decay, nothing you say reaches my ears anyway"
- "These are Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children"
- "You and I we need each other just the same. You need me to laugh at and I need you to blame"
- "I only played chess once in my life, and I lost"
- "People down there drink home-made beer, things ain't changed for a hundred years"
- "Come on Boys, Dump the Car. Line another Drink up on the Bar"
- "There'll be another Bicentennial before I hear the truth from your mouth"
Past Proud Lyrics Department Winners
- "Alabama would be heaven if the Lord was there" ["Willie Jones" by the Charlie Daniels Band, identified by Abel Brodeur, University of Ottawa]
- "How do you come to be having fun with everyone but me girl?" ["Hypnotise" by Scritti Politti; identified by Aru Bhartiya, PSE]
- "If it doesn't work out, Yo: it just doesn't. If it wasn't meant to be, you know: It just wasn't" ["Paper Thin" by MC Lyte; identified by Alan Piper, University of Flensburg]
- "I couldn't go to work today as Bigfoot stole my car" ["Truth is out of Style" by MC 900 Ft Jesus (with DJ Zero); identifed by Don Webber, Bristol Business School]
Terrible Bands in which I Massacred the Guitar Department.
- The Theydon Boys
- Bozo (The Drinking Man's Rock Band)
The first and third of these actually played in public. The first in a Church music competition (we lost), and the third at Libby Morris's birthday party (Libby - wherever you are - you didn't deserve that). The second was the punk period band. Our version of Ever Fallen in Love (RIP Pete Shelley) was unique. We all knew bits of the song, but not the same bits, and not at the same speed. Plus we didn't have a drummer.