- Research Fellow at IZA.
- Professorial Research Fellow at the Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Senior Research Fellow, CRESS, Kingston University.
- Adjunct Professor, Flinders University (Adelaide).
- Senior Fellow of the Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Visiting Professor and Research Associate at the Centre for Corporate Performance, Aarhus School of Business.
- Director of the "Labour" programme of PSE.
- Co-director of the "Labour" programme of CEPREMAP.
Acronym information (AKA "PSE, PSE. So good they named it twice"): I used to be at DELTA, but now I'm at PSE. That's because DELTA merged with CERAS and the two research groups of CEPREMAP to form PSE, which thus now has four different governing bodies (CNRS-EHESS-ENPC-ENS). I hope that everything is now clear. But of course, four is not really enough, so in January 2010 we merged with INRA-LEA (who are already on the Jourdan campus), adding the INRA as a fifth governing body.
Oh, and PSE is sort of joining forces with (some of) University Paris 1 to form the Paris School of Economics. To sum up, I am at PSE, which is part of PSE.
- I organise the WIP (Work In Progress) seminar for PhD students (30 minute presentation: great practice for conferences!). Contact me if you would like to present. The Labour and Public Economics seminar (which is more international/external) is organised by Luc Behaghel .
- Board of Directors of the International Society for Quality of Life Studies (ISQOLS).
- Exectutive Committe, European Association of Labour Economists (EALE).
- Scientific Advisory Board, European Social Survey (ESS).
- Chair of the External advisory board of the Institute for Economic Analysis of Decision Making (InstEAD)
- International Scientific Advisory Panel, Behavioural Sciences Institute of Singapore Management University (BSI).
- The Twelfth ISQOLS conference will be held at the Free University of Berlin on September 15th – 18th 2014: see the call for papers here.
- Member of the United Nations Well-Being Group. Don't believe me? Check out this photo then.
- The new ISQOLS journal, Applied Research in Quality of Life (Springer) is actively soliciting contributions.
Applied Microeconomics. The use of job and life satisfaction data to analyse labour market phenomena. Modelling the utility function: comparisons and habituation. Social interactions, and social learning. Job quality. The economic analysis of drug markets and cigarette consumption. Generallly funky stuff.
Thèmes de recherche
Microéconomie Appliquée. L'analyse du marché du travail en faisant appel aux données sur la satisfaction dans le travail et la satisfaction dans la vie. La modélisation de la fonction d'utilité : normes, comparaisons et accoutumance. Les interactions sociales et l'apprentissage social. La qualité de l'emploi. L'analyse économique de la consommation des produits à risque.
A Full CV in PDF format is here.
|Social Science Citations Index:||4000|
|Google Scholar (Top 5):||6800|
|March 2013||University of Vienna,
University of Orléans
|April 2013||Income Distribution Conference (Paris), University of Marseilles, University of Potsdam, Free University of Berlin|
|May 2013||IZA Bonn, Warwick Alumni Day, Well-being and public policy (Reading), KORA, University of Copenhagen|
||LSE, CORE Louvain-la-Neuve, Workshop on subjective well-being (Paris), IOS Summer Academy (Regensburg)|
|July 2013||Australian Conference
of Economists (Perth), University of Queensland
|September 2013||ESPAnet conference
(Poznan), LSE, Université du Luxembourg, EALE
Conference (Turin), TEPP Conference (Le Mans)
|October 2013||Halloran Well-Being
Conference (Philadelphia), Brookings Institution
||University of Stirling,
University of Edinburgh, Rencontres d'Aussois (Labex OSE)
|January 2014||DWP London
|February 2014||Doshisha University -
International Comparative Study on Happiness (Kyoto),
Oxford Handbook Conference (Princeton)
|March 2014||"Evaluation des
Politiques Publiques" (Aussois)
||Universitat Autònoma de
Barcelona, Royal Economic Society (Manchester),
|May 2014||University of Aberdeen,
Free University of Berlin, Université Paris Dauphine
|June 2014||University of Sheffield,
Kingston, OECD, World Bank
|August 2014||Society for
Economic Measurement (Chicago), IARIW (Rotterdam)
(Berlin), EALE (Ljubjlana),
SWELLFER Workshop (Turin)
|October 2014||OECD Workshop on Measuring Well-Being
University of Sheffield
|March 2015||University of Edinburgh
Editorial* Journal of Happiness Studies (2000-)
* Revue d’Economie Politique (2004-)
* Advances in Research on Quality of Life (2005-)
* British Journal of Industrial Relations (2010-)
* Review of Income and Wealth (2010-)
* Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy (2011-)
* International Review of Economics (2011-)
* Italian Economic Review/ Rivista Italiana Degli Economisti (2011-)
* Evidence-based HRM (2011-)
* International Journal of Happiness and Development (2011-)
* Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization (2008-2011)
Refereeing: Journals. 690+ Referee's Reports for:
Actualité Economique Journal of Economic Psychology African Review of Economics and Finance Journal of Economic Surveys American Economic Journal: Applied Economics Journal of European Social Policy American Economic Journal: Economic Policy Journal of Family and Economic Issues American Economic Journal: Macro Journal of Happiness Studies American Economic Review Journal of Health Economics American Journal of Agricultural Economics Journal of Human Capital American Journal of Political Science Journal of Human Development Annales d'Economie et de Statistique Journal of Human Resources Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics Applied Economics Quarterly Journal of Labor Economics Applied Research in Quality of Life Journal of Labor Research BMC Public Health Journal of Law, Economics and Organization British Journal of Industrial Relations Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics Bulletin of Economic Research Journal of Official Statistics Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Canadian Journal of Economics Journal of Political Economy Contemporary Economic Policy Journal of Population Economics Demography Journal of Positive Psychology Drustvena istrazivanja Journal of Public Economics Eastern Economic Journal Journal of Research in Personality Econometrica Journal of Social Policy Economic Inquiry Journal of Socio-Economics Economic Journal Journal of Sports Economics Economic Modelling Journal of the European Economic Association Economic Systems Journal of the Japanese and International Economies Economic and Industrial Democracy Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A Economic and Social Review Journal of Urban Economics Economica Labour Economics and Human Biology Labour Economics Economics and Philosophy Management Science Economics Bulletin Mind and Society Economics Letters OECD Journal: Economic Studies Economics of Education Review Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics Economics of Transition Oxford Economic Papers Economie et Prévision Oxford Review of Economic Policy Economie et Statistique Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology Employee Relations Papers in Regional Science Empirica Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin Empirical Economics Perspectives on Psychological Science Environment and Planning A PLOS ONE European Economic Review Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences European Journal of Industrial Relations Psychological Bulletin European Journal of Operational Research Psychological Science European Journal of Political Economy Public Finance Review European Sociological Review Quarterly Journal of Economics Evolution & Human Behavior Recherches Economiques de Louvain Feminist Economics Regional Science and Urban Economics Frontiers in Finance and Economics Reinvention: a Journal of Undergraduate Research Games and Economic Behavior Research on Aging Gender, Work and Organization Review of Economic Studies Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography Review of Economics and Statistics Health Economics Review of Economics of the Household Health Policy Review of Income and Wealth History of the Human Sciences Review of Industrial Organization Human Relations Revue d'Economie Politique Human Resource Management Journal Revue Economique Industrial and Labor Relations Review Ricerche Economiche Industrial Relations Rivista Italiana degli Economisti Industrial Relations Journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics International Economic Review Schmollers Jahrbuch International Journal of Business and Economics Science International Journal of Epidemiology Scottish Journal of Political Economy International Journal of Management and Decision Making Small Business Economics International Journal of Manpower Social Choice and Welfare International Migration Review Social Forces International Review of Economics Social Indicators Research International Sociology Social Science and Medicine International Tax and Public Finance Social Science Information IZA Journal of Labor Economics Social Science Journal Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion Social Science Quarterly Journal of Applied Econometrics Sociological Methods and Research Journal of Applied Economics Socio-Economic Review Journal of Applied Gerontology Southern Economic Journal Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis Statistics in Transition new series Journal of Comparative Economics The B.E. Journals in Economic Analysis & Policy Journal of Development Economics The Manchester School Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization World Bank Economic Review Journal of Economic Inequality World Development Journal of Economic Literature
Refereeing: Books (13)* Editions Flammarion
* La Decouverte
* MIT Press
* Oxford University Press
* Princeton University Press
* World Bank
Refereeing: Projects (32)* ANR (France)
* Austrian Science Fund
* AXA (France)
* British Academy
* ECOS-Sud (France)
* ESRC (UK)
* European Research Council
* Falk Institute for Economic Research (Israel)
* FCAR (Canada)
* FCI (Canada)
* FWO (Belgium)
* INCA (France)
* Israel Science Foundation
* Leverhulme Trust (UK)
* Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR)
* MIUR (Italy)
* NWO (Holland)
* Nuffield Foundation (UK)
* SSHRC (Canada)
|London School of Economics, 1989.|
|Visiting Assistant Professor||Dartmouth College, 1989-1991|
|Senior Research Officer||University of Essex, 1991-1993|
|Visiting Research Fellow||CEPREMAP, 1993-1994|
|Visiting Research Fellow||DELTA, 1994-1995|
|Chargé de Recherche, CNRS||University of Orléans, 1997-2000|
|Directeur de Recherche, CNRS||University of Orléans, 2000-2001|
|Directeur de Recherche, CNRS||DELTA/PSE, 2001-|
Many many interesting things about fairness and well-being research can be found in the following places
Don't forget the Labour Economics Gateway here.
Equally interesting things about football can be found in the following places
- Football results and gossip from the first five divisions in England can be found at soccernet.
- Are Leyton Orient the worst team in London? This site will let you know.
- Are you sad enough to want to know the results from League Division Eight? See here then.
- US Palaiseau! Easily the best team in, er, Palaiseau.
And we all know that you can never listen to enough music while you're working.
- Who Said Hip-Hop was Dead? Quannum and Solesides refute the case.
- And check out Deep Puddle Dynamics for some serious What The Hell moments.
- Who Said Finns Can't Rap? Oh look, here's another one. And what's more....broken beats, sub-bass and grainy video: Antiall have it all. I used to have a link to them, but it has disappeared into the Ether....
- Wobbly Ambient Electronica is cool. Boards of Canada's turntable is playing at the wrong speed.
- Who Said a Triple Lead Guitar Attack was Passé? Run for the hills (of Arkansas), where Black Oak Arkansas will show you what you've been missing (nice washboard too).
- Uspenski Cathedral in Helsinki has a pretty good choir. Check out the bass.
- How minimal can you get? Richie Hawtin knows.
- I can't remember the way you used to be: the Charlatans (UK).
- Doors......lead to other doors. The Associates.
- This Ain't Really Life; It's Nothing But A Movie. Gil Scott-Heron.
- With a movie camera - The Cinematic Orchestra.
- My office hasn't been the same since I discovered Etherbeat radio: "The Urban Alternative"
- And more radio than you can throw a stick at: Iceberg Radio.
- Any label which signed Don Armando's Second Avenue Rhumba Band is OK with me: Ze Records.
- Bass for your Face: Public Enemy.
- Groove Salad: "Listener-supported, commercial-free, underground/alternative radio broadcasting from San Francisco". That's what it says on their website.
- Damon and Naomi. Listen to Beautiful Close Double....and weep.
- Finger Licking Good Y'All. Time to remember how good Trouble Funk were.
- I reckon Burial is ice-washed deep-space soul. But then again what the hell do I know?
- This is the best ever old-school song; unfortunately so is this. No, wait a minute: this is surely even better...
- I like Fools' Gold as much as the next man, but here's another total gem from the Stone Roses.
- Lemmy gives his opinion on certain journal referees. Actually it's Larry Wallis, ex-Pink Fairies, on vocals.
- Ah, preposterous: the magnificent I, Ludicrous.
- And what did Tiim Gaine sound like before Stereolab, you ask? Actually like this Indie Wah-Wah classic. I seem to remember that McCarthy came from Barking, where I lived when I wrote my thesis. Or was that the Wolfhounds? Or the Godfathers?
- And all of this is just imagination: Shriekback.
- Being a moderately poor guitar player myself, I am partial to wig-outs. Here are two mighty fine ones, both old and new.
- Never liked KJ that much, but this is monstrous.
- Two minutes of horn-driven madness: The Ohio Players back in the days...
- And the Fear: What's that for?
- Alex Harvey helped to make me what I am today. It's his fault.
- Super Collider will melt your speakers: it's official.
- You Ain't Got the Bait to Hook This. Bahamadia.
- Dansez Dansez Yeah: San Fan Thomas.
- Dad on the Dance Floor alert. We are all Wicki Wacky
- Memories of Warwick Folk Club: the wonderful Mick Stuart
Dubious Links between Research and Music Department.
- The 2001 Economica paper includes lyrics from the great Eubie Blake.
- The 2008 International Journal of Manpower paper is named after a Billy Bragg song.
- The 2008 Economic Journal paper includes a line from Gimme a Bullet.
- The 2014 OUP chapter (the Bartolini one) contains a carefully-shoehorned lyric from Wham Rap.
- One of our religion papers was inspired by the monumental Black Oak Arkansas ("Our Religion Is Music")
- Our new work on Adaptation in the East will, I hope, include a line from Billy Bragg's St Swithin's Day.
- The short summary paper in Keio Economic Studies is named after a Rush song (I know, I know).
- I would like to write a paper on the absence of compensating differentials called "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap". But I probably won't.
Identify the Lyrics Department. Know which songs these come from? Then you may win a great prize*
* You probably won't win anything at all.
- "Here I am, growing up and growing old. Watching my friends swallow cultures whole"
- "How do you come to be having fun with everyone but me girl?"
- "Alabama would be heaven if the Lord was there"
- "Jobs for the boys, and a tip for the wrecking crew. Truth of it is that it's plain you've not got a clue"
- "Your words twist and decay, nothing you say reaches my ears anyway"
- "These are Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children"
- "If it doesn't work out, Yo: it just doesn't. If it wasn't meant to be, you know: It just wasn't"**
- "I only played chess once in my life, and I lost"
- "I couldn't go to work today as Bigfoot stole my car"
- "You and I we need each other just the same. You need me to laugh at and I need you to blame"
** Not true! We have a winner. Alan Piper of Flensburg correctly identified this as an MC Lyte lyric (Paper Thin). He won a German version of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (which I had bought in error)
Activités Annexes : Kingston University (5-25K Euros) ; LSE (25K+ Euros).