- Research Fellow at IZA.
- Professorial Research Fellow at the Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Adjunct Professor, Flinders University (Adelaide).
- Senior Fellow of the Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Visiting Professor and Research Associate at the Centre for Corporate Performance, Aarhus School of Business.
- Co-Director of the "Labour" programme of PSE.
- Co-director of the CEPREMAP Well-Being Observatory.
Acronym information (AKA "PSE, PSE. So good they named it twice"): I used to be at DELTA, but now I'm at PSE. That's because DELTA merged with CERAS and the two research groups of CEPREMAP to form PSE, which thus now has four different governing bodies (CNRS-EHESS-ENPC-ENS). I hope that everything is now clear. But of course, four is not really enough, so in January 2010 we merged with INRA-LEA (who are already on the Jourdan campus), adding the INRA as a fifth governing body.
Oh, and PSE is sort of joining forces with (some of) University Paris 1 to form the Paris School of Economics. To sum up, I am at PSE, which is part of PSE.
And to prove it's true, we will shortly all (sort of) be moving to a new building on the Jourdan campus in
June 2016 Nove mber 2016 Early 2017February 2017 maybe!
- I organise the WIP (Work In Progress) seminar for PhD students (30 minute presentation: great practice for conferences!). Contact me if you would like to present. The Public Policy seminar, now rebaptised Labour and Public Economics is organised by myself, Camille Hemet and Elena Stancanelli.
- Executive Committee of the International Society for Quality of Life Studies (ISQOLS).
- Executive Committe of the European Association of Labour Economists (EALE).
- Council of the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth (IARIW).
- Chair of the External advisory board of the Institute for Economic Analysis of Decision Making (InstEAD)
- International Scientific Advisory Panel, Behavioural Sciences Institute of Singapore Management University (BSI).
- The Fifteenth ISQOLS conference will be held in Innsbruck, September 28th-30th 2017. Abstracts can be submitted until Valentine's Day. Conference webpage
- Member of the United Nations Well-Being Group. Don't believe me? Check out this photo then.
- The ISQOLS journal, Applied Research in Quality of Life (Springer) is actively soliciting contributions.
Applied Microeconomics. The use of job and life satisfaction data to analyse labour market phenomena. Modelling the utility function: comparisons and habituation. Social interactions, and social learning. Job quality. The economic analysis of drug markets and cigarette consumption. Generallly funky stuff.
Thèmes de recherche
Microéconomie Appliquée. L'analyse du marché du travail en faisant appel aux données sur la satisfaction dans le travail et la satisfaction dans la vie. La modélisation de la fonction d'utilité : normes, comparaisons et accoutumance. Les interactions sociales et l'apprentissage social. La qualité de l'emploi. L'analyse économique de la consommation des produits à risque.
A Full CV in PDF format is here.
|Social Science Citations Index:||5700|
|Google Scholar (Top 5):||9300|
|June 2016||D-TEA (Paris), UCL, City University of New
|July 2016||Duisburg-Essen, LSE Well-being Workshop
|August 2016||IARIW (Dresden)
|September 2016||EALE Conference (Ghent), Hospinnomics
Conference (Paris), SIEP Conference (Lecce), AISSEC Workshop
|October 2016||Subjective Survey Data in Labour Market
Research (Trier), University of Orebro
|November 2016||International Conference on Well-being:
National Accounts of Happiness and Social Development,
|December 2016||Bon Droit Conference (Angers), LSE Well-being Conference|
|January 2017||University of Maastricht
|March 2017||CERGE Prague, City University London, Kings
|June 2017||City University of New York, University of
|August 2017||KLI International Conference of Work
and Happiness, South Korea
|September 2017||Norwich Business School
Editorial* Journal of Happiness Studies (2000-)
* Revue d’Economie Politique (2004-)
* Advances in Research on Quality of Life (2005-)
* Review of Income and Wealth (2010-)
* Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy (2011-)
* International Review of Economics (2011-)
* Evidence-based HRM (2011-)
* International Journal of Happiness and Development (2011-)
* Journal of Health Economics (2016-)
* Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization (2008-2011)
* Italian Economic Review/ Rivista Italiana Degli Economisti (2011-2014)
* British Journal of Industrial Relations (2010-2014)
Refereeing: Journals. 850+ Referee's Reports for:
Actualité Economique Journal of European Social Policy Advances in Life Course Research Journal of Evolutionary Economics African Review of Economics and Finance Journal of Family and Economic Issues American Economic Journal: Applied Economics Journal of Happiness Studies American Economic Journal: Economic Policy Journal of Health Economics American Economic Journal: Macro Journal of Human Capital American Economic Review Journal of Human Development American Journal of Agricultural Economics Journal of Human Resources American Journal of Political Science Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics Annales d'Economie et de Statistique Journal of Labor Economics Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy Journal of Labor Research Applied Economics Quarterly Journal of Law, Economics and Organization Applied Research in Quality of Life Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics BMC Public Health Journal of Official Statistics British Journal of Sociology Journal of Personality and Social Psychology British Journal of Industrial Relations Journal of Political Economy Bulletin of Economic Research Journal of Population Economics Cambridge Journal of Economics Journal of Positive Psychology Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences Journal of Public Economics Canadian Journal of Economics Journal of Public Policy Contemporary Economic Policy Journal of Research in Personality Demography Journal of Social Policy Drug and Alcohol Dependence Journal of Socio-Economics Drustvena istrazivanja Journal of Sports Economics Eastern Economic Journal Journal of the European Economic Association Econometrica Journal of the Japanese and International Economies Economic Development and Cultural Change Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A Economic Inquiry Journal of Urban Economics Economic Journal Labour Economic Modelling Labour Economics Economic Systems Management Science Economic and Industrial Democracy Mind and Society Economic and Social Review Mondes en Développement Economica Nature Human Behaviour Economics and Human Biology OECD Journal: Economic Studies Economics and Philosophy Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics Economics Bulletin Oxford Economic Papers Economics Letters Oxford Review of Economic Policy Economics of Education Review Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology Economics of Governance Papers in Regional Science Economics of Transition Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin Economie et Prévision Perspectives on Psychological Science Economie et Statistique PLOS ONE Employee Relations Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Empirica Psychological Bulletin Empirical Economics Psychological Science Environment and Planning A Public Finance Review European Economic Review Quarterly Journal of Economics European Journal of Health Economics Recherches Economiques de Louvain European Journal of Industrial Relations Regional Science and Urban Economics European Journal of Operational Research Reinvention: a Journal of Undergraduate Research European Journal of Political Economy Research on Aging European Sociological Review Review of Behavioral Economics Evolution & Human Behavior Review of Economic Studies Feminist Economics Review of Economics and Statistics Frontiers in Finance and Economics Review of Economics of the Household Games and Economic Behavior Review of Finance Gender, Work and Organization Review of Income and Wealth Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography Review of Industrial Organization German Economic Review Revue d'Economie Politique Health Economics Revue Economique Health Policy Ricerche Economiche History of the Human Sciences Rivista Italiana degli Economisti Human Relations Scandinavian Journal of Economics Human Resource Management Journal Schmollers Jahrbuch Industrial and Labor Relations Review Science Industrial Relations Scottish Journal of Political Economy Industrial Relations Journal Small Business Economics International Economic Review Social Choice and Welfare International Journal of Business and Economics Social Forces International Journal of Epidemiology Social Indicators Research International Journal of Management and Decision Making Social Science and Medicine International Journal of Manpower Social Science Information International Migration Review Social Science Journal International Review of Economics Social Science Quarterly International Sociology Social Science Research International Tax and Public Finance Sociological Methods and Research IZA Journal of Labor Economics Sociology of Education IZA Journal of Labor Policy Socio-Economic Review IZA Journal of Migration Southern Economic Journal IZA World of Labor Statistics in Transition new series Japanese Economic Review The B.E. Journals in Economic Analysis & Policy Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion The B.E. Journals of Theoretical Economics Journal of Applied Econometrics The Manchester School Journal of Applied Economics Theory and Decision Journal of Applied Gerontology Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations Journal of Comparative Economics Work and Occupations Journal of Development Economics World Bank Economic Review Journal of Development Studies World Development Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
Journal of Economic Inequality
Journal of Economic Literature
Journal of Economic Psychology
Journal of Economic Surveys
Refereeing: Books (15)* Editions Flammarion
* La Decouverte
* MIT Press
* Oxford University Press
* Princeton University Press
* World Bank
Refereeing: Projects (39)* ANR (France)
* Austrian Science Fund
* AXA (France)
* British Academy
* Croatian Science Foundation
* ECOS-Sud (France)
* ESRC (UK)
* European Research Council
* Falk Institute for Economic Research (Israel)
* FCAR (Canada)
* FCI (Canada)
* FWO (Belgium)
* INCA (France)
* Israel Science Foundation
* Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
* Leverhulme Trust (UK)
* Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR)
* MIUR (Italy)
* Nuffield Foundation (UK)
* NWO (Holland)
* Polish National Science Centre
* SSHRC (Canada)
|London School of Economics, 1989.|
|Visiting Assistant Professor||Dartmouth College, 1989-1991|
|Senior Research Officer||University of Essex, 1991-1993|
|Visiting Research Fellow||CEPREMAP, 1993-1994|
|Visiting Research Fellow||DELTA, 1994-1995|
|Chargé de Recherche, CNRS||University of Orléans, 1997-2000|
|Directeur de Recherche, CNRS||University of Orléans, 2000-2001|
|Directeur de Recherche, CNRS||DELTA/PSE, 2001-|
Many many interesting things about fairness and well-being research can be found in the following places
Don't forget the Labour Economics Gateway here.
Equally interesting things about football can be found in the following places
- Football results and gossip from the first five divisions in England can be found at soccernet.
- Are Leyton Orient the worst team in London? This site will let you know.
- Are you sad enough to want to know the results from League Division Eight? See here then.
- US Palaiseau! Easily the best team in, er, Palaiseau.
And we all know that you can never listen to enough music while you're working.
- Who Said Hip-Hop was Dead? Quannum and Solesides refute the case.
- And check out Deep Puddle Dynamics for some serious What The Hell moments.
- Who Said Finns Can't Rap? Oh look, here's another one. And what's more....broken beats, sub-bass and grainy video: Antiall have it all. I used to have a link to them, but it has disappeared into the Ether....
- Wobbly Ambient Electronica is cool. Boards of Canada's turntable is playing at the wrong speed.
- Who Said a Triple Lead Guitar Attack was Passé? Run for the hills (of Arkansas), where Black Oak Arkansas will show you what you've been missing (nice washboard too).
- Uspenski Cathedral in Helsinki has a pretty good choir. Check out the bass.
- How minimal can you get? Richie Hawtin knows.
- I can't remember the way you used to be: the Charlatans (UK).
- Doors......lead to other doors. The Associates.
- This Ain't Really Life; It's Nothing But A Movie. Gil Scott-Heron.
- With a movie camera - The Cinematic Orchestra.
- My office hasn't been the same since I discovered Etherbeat radio: "The Urban Alternative"
- And more radio than you can throw a stick at: Iceberg Radio.
- Any label which signed Don Armando's Second Avenue Rhumba Band is OK with me: Ze Records.
- Bass for your Face: Public Enemy.
- Groove Salad: "Listener-supported, commercial-free, underground/alternative radio broadcasting from San Francisco". That's what it says on their website.
- Damon and Naomi. Listen to Beautiful Close Double....and weep.
- Finger Licking Good Y'All. Time to remember how good Trouble Funk were.
- I reckon Burial is ice-washed deep-space soul. But then again what the hell do I know?
- This is the best ever old-school song; unfortunately so is this. No, wait a minute: this is surely even better...
- I like Fools' Gold as much as the next man, but here's another total gem from the Stone Roses.
- Lemmy gives his opinion on certain journal referees. Actually it's Larry Wallis, ex-Pink Fairies, on vocals.
- Ah, preposterous: the magnificent I, Ludicrous.
- And what did Tim Gaine sound like before Stereolab, you ask? Actually like this Indie Wah-Wah classic. I seem to remember that McCarthy came from Barking, where I lived when I wrote my thesis. Or was that the Wolfhounds? Or the Godfathers?
- And all of this is just imagination: Shriekback.
- Being a moderately poor guitar player myself, I am partial to wig-outs. Here are two mighty fine ones, both old and new.
- Never liked KJ that much, but this is monstrous.
- Two minutes of horn-driven madness: The Ohio Players back in the days...
- And the Fear: What's that for?
- Alex Harvey helped to make me what I am today. It's his fault.
- Super Collider will melt your speakers: it's official.
- You Ain't Got the Bait to Hook This. Bahamadia.
- Dansez Dansez Yeah: San Fan Thomas.
- Dad on the Dance Floor alert. We are all Wicki Wacky
- Memories of Warwick Folk Club: the wonderful Mick Stuart
Dubious Links between Research and Music Department.
- The 2001 Economica paper includes lyrics from the great Eubie Blake.
- The 2008 International Journal of Manpower paper is named after a Billy Bragg song.
- The 2008 Economic Journal paper includes a line from Gimme a Bullet.
- The 2014 OUP chapter (the Bartolini one) contains a carefully-shoehorned lyric from Wham Rap.
- One of our religion papers was inspired by the monumental Black Oak Arkansas ("Our Religion Is Music")
- Our new work on Adaptation in the East will, I hope, include a line from Billy Bragg's St Swithin's Day.
- The short summary paper in Keio Economic Studies is named after a Rush song (I know, I know).
- The Introduction to the November EJ Features contains a reflection on Chicory Tip.
- I would like to write a paper on the absence of compensating differentials called "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap". But I probably won't.
Identify the Lyrics Department. Know which songs these come from? Then you may win a great prize*
* You probably won't win anything at all.
- "Here I am, growing up and growing old. Watching my friends swallow cultures whole"
- "How do you come to be having fun with everyone but me girl?"
- "Alabama would be heaven if the Lord was there"***
- "Jobs for the boys, and a tip for the wrecking crew. Truth of it is that it's plain you've not got a clue"
- "Your words twist and decay, nothing you say reaches my ears anyway"
- "These are Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children"
- "If it doesn't work out, Yo: it just doesn't. If it wasn't meant to be, you know: It just wasn't"**
- "I only played chess once in my life, and I lost"
- "I couldn't go to work today as Bigfoot stole my car"
- "You and I we need each other just the same. You need me to laugh at and I need you to blame"
** Not true! We have a winner. Alan Piper of Flensburg correctly identified this as an MC Lyte lyric (Paper Thin). He won a German version of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (which I had bought in error)
*** And another! Abel Brodeur, via a circuitous route, identified this is as coming from "Willie Jones" by the Charlie Daniels Band. He won a chocolate elephant.
Activités Annexes : LSE (25K+ Euros).