- Research Fellow at IZA.
- Professorial Research Fellow at the Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Co-director of the CEPREMAP Well-Being Observatory.
- Web of Science Highly-Cited Researcher.
Acronym information (AKA "PSE, PSE. So good they named it twice"): I used to be at DELTA, but now I'm at PSE. That's because DELTA merged with CERAS and the two research groups of CEPREMAP to form PSE, which thus now has four different governing bodies (CNRS-EHESS-ENPC-ENS). I hope that everything is now clear. But of course, four is not really enough, so in January 2010 we merged with INRA-LEA (who are already on the Jourdan campus), adding the INRA as a fifth governing body. And in 2020 INRA merged with IRSTEA to become INRAE.
Oh, and PSE is sort of joining forces with (some of) University Paris 1 to form the Paris School of Economics. To sum up, I am at PSE, which is part of PSE.
And to prove it's true, we have finally moved to a new building, still on the Jourdan campus. And we were all happy ever after (apart from the shutters that don't shut).
But wait! PSE may well become part of PSL, and has a new programme called PGSE. And no, I am not making this up.
Applied Microeconomics. The use of job and life satisfaction data to analyse labour market phenomena. Modelling the utility function: comparisons and habituation. Social interactions, and social learning. Job quality. The economic analysis of drug markets and cigarette consumption. Generallly funky stuff.
Thèmes de recherche
Microéconomie Appliquée. L'analyse du marché du travail en faisant appel aux données sur la satisfaction dans le travail et la satisfaction dans la vie. La modélisation de la fonction d'utilité : normes, comparaisons et accoutumance. Les interactions sociales et l'apprentissage social. La qualité de l'emploi. L'analyse économique de la consommation des produits à risque.
A Full CV in PDF format is here.
|Social Science Citations Index:||11 800|
|Google Scholar (Top 5):||15 100
|Google Scholar:||38 300|
|Social Science Citations Index:||41|
|March 2020||City University, LSE
|April 2020||RES PhD symposium (Belfast), PAA 2020 Annual
|May 2020||BESH Research Symposium on Wellbeing (KU
|June 2020||New Zealand Association of Economists
|August 2021||IARIW (Oslo)
Supervision of Masters Dissertations: 49
PhD Juries: 75
Aix Marseille Université (2), University of British Columbia, Brunel, Copenhagen (2), EHESS (18), Erasmus University Rotterdam, Imperial, Kingston, Leeds, London School of Economics (2), Louvain la Neuve, Luxembourg, Lyon 2 (5), Maastricht, Maryland, Nottingham (2), Orléans, Paris 1 (11), Paris 2, Paris X, Paris 12, Paris Dauphine (3), Queensland, Rome Tor Vergata, Royal Holloway College, Université de Savoie, Sheffield (2), Siena, Staffordshire, Stockholm, Strasbourg 1, Université Libre de Bruxelles (2), Warwick (3), University of Western Australia.
Editorial* Revue d’Economie Politique (2004-)
* Advances in Research on Quality of Life (2005-)
* Review of Income and Wealth (2010-)
* International Review of Economics (2011-)
* Evidence-based HRM (2011-)
* International Journal of Happiness and Development (2011-)
* Journal of Health Economics (2016-)
* Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (2018-)
* Journal of Population Economics (2018-)
* Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization (2008-2011)
* Italian Economic Review/ Rivista Italiana Degli Economisti (2011-2014)
* British Journal of Industrial Relations (2010-2014)
* Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy (2011-2017)
* Journal of Happiness Studies (2000-2018)
Refereeing: Journals. 1200+ Referee's Reports for 232 Journals:
Actualité Economique Journal of Applied Gerontology Advances in Cognitive Psychology Journal of Banking and Finance Advances in Life Course Research Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis African Review of Economics and Finance Journal of Bioeconomics American Economic Journal: Applied Economics Journal of Comparative Economics American Economic Journal: Economic Policy Journal of Consumer Affairs American Economic Journal: Macro Journal of Development Economics American Economic Review* Journal of Development Studies American Journal of Agricultural Economics Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization* American Journal of Health Economics Journal of Economic Inequality* American Journal of Political Science Journal of Economic Literature American Psychologist Journal of Economic Psychology* American Sociological Review Journal of Economic Surveys Annales d'Economie et de Statistique Journal of European Social Policy Applied Economics Journal of Evolutionary Economics Applied Economics Letters Journal of Family and Economic Issues Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy Journal of Happiness Studies* Applied Economics Quarterly Journal of Health Economics* Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being Journal of Human Capital Applied Research in Quality of Life* Journal of Human Development BMC Public Health Journal of Human Resources British Journal of Industrial Relations* Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics British Journal of Sociology Journal of Labor Economics Bulletin of Economic Research Journal of Labor Research Business and Society Review Journal of Law, Economics and Organization Cambridge Journal of Economics Journal of Medical Economics Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics Canadian Journal of Economics Journal of Official Statistics Children and Youth Services Review Journal of Personality and Social Psychology* China Economic Review Journal of Political Economy Community, Work & Family Journal of Population Economics* Contemporary Economic Policy Journal of Positive Psychology Cross-Cultural Research Journal of Public Economics* Current Psychology Journal of Public Policy Demographic Research Journal of Research in Personality Demography Journal of Social Policy Developmental Psychology Journal of Socio-Economics Development Southern Africa Journal of Sports Economics Drug and Alcohol Dependence Journal of the European Economic Association Drustvena istrazivanja Journal of the Japanese and International Economies Eastern Economic Journal Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A Econometrica Journal of Urban Economics Economia Internazionale Labour* Economic and Labour Relations Review Labour Economics* Economic Development and Cultural Change Management International Economic Inquiry Management Science Economic Journal* Managerial and Decision Economics Economic Modelling Mind and Society Economic Policy Mondes en Développement Economic Systems Nature Human Behaviour Economic and Industrial Democracy OECD Journal: Economic Studies Economic and Social Review Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics Economica* Oxford Economic Papers* Economics Oxford Review of Economic Policy Economics and Human Biology Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology Economics and Philosophy Papers in Regional Science Economics Bulletin Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin Economics Letters* Perspectives on Psychological Science Economics of Education Review PLOS ONE Economics of Governance PNAS Nexus Economics of Transition Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Economie et Prévision Psychological Bulletin Economie et Statistique Psychological Science Education Economics Public Finance Review Empirica Quality of Life Research Empirical Economics Quarterly Journal of Economics* Employee Relations Recherches Economiques de Louvain Environment and Planning A Regional Science and Urban Economics European Economic Review* Regional Studies European Journal of Health Economics Reinvention: a Journal of Undergraduate Research European Journal of Industrial Relations Research on Aging European Journal of Operational Research Review of Behavioral Economics European Journal of Political Economy Review of Economic Studies European Societies Review of Economics and Statistics* European Sociological Review Review of Economics of the Household* Evidence-based HRM Review of Finance Evolution & Human Behavior Review of Income and Wealth* Feminist Economics Review of Industrial Organization Frontiers in Finance and Economics Revue d'Economie Politique Games and Economic Behavior Revue Economique Gender, Work and Organization Ricerche Economiche Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography Risk, Hazards & Crisis in Public Policy German Economic Review Rivista Italiana degli Economisti Health Economics * Scandinavian Journal of Economics Health Policy Schmollers Jahrbuch Health Science Reports Science* History of the Human Sciences Science Advances Human Relations* Scottish Journal of Political Economy* Human Resource Management Journal Small Business Economics Industrial and Labor Relations Review* Social Choice and Welfare Industrial Relations * Social Forces Industrial Relations Journal Social Indicators Research* International Economic Review Social Science and Medicine* International Journal of Business and Economics SSM - Population Health International Journal of Epidemiology Social Science Information International Journal of Happiness and Development Social Science Journal International Journal of Management and Decision Making Social Science Quarterly International Journal of Manpower* Social Science Research International Journal of Public Opinion Research Sociological Methods and Research International Journal of Social Welfare Sociology of Education International Journal of Well-Being Socio-Economic Review International Labour Review Southern Economic Journal International Migration Review Statistics in Transition new series International Review of Economics Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics International Review of Economics and Finance The B.E. Journals in Economic Analysis & Policy International Small Business Journal The B.E. Journals of Theoretical Economics International Socal Science Journal The Manchester School International Sociology Theory and Decision International Tax and Public Finance Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice IZA Journal of Labor Economics Transportation Research Part F: Psychology and Behaviour IZA Journal of Labor Policy Vienna Yearbook of Population Research IZA Journal of Migration VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations IZA World of Labor Wellbeing, Space & Society Japanese Economic Review Work and Occupations Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion World Bank Economic Review Journal of Applied Econometrics World Development* Journal of Applied Economics
* = 10 or more referee's reports
Refereeing: Books (20)* Cambridge Scholars Publishing
* Cambridge University Press
* Editions Flammarion
* La Decouverte
* MIT Press
* Oxford University Press
* Princeton University Press
* Temple University Press
* World Bank
Refereeing: Projects (73)* AAP-Paris-Seine
* ANR (France)
* Austrian Science Fund
* AXA (France)
* Belgian Fund for Scientific Research – FNRS
* British Academy
* Croatian Science Foundation
* ECOS-Sud (France)
* ESRC (UK)
* European Research Council
* Falk Institute for Economic Research (Israel)
* FCAR (Canada)
* FCI (Canada)
* FWO (Belgium)
* German Research Foundation (DFG)
* Health Research Board (Ireland)
* INCA (France)
* Israel Science Foundation
* Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
* Leverhulme Trust (UK)
* Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR)
* MIUR (Italy)
* Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development
* Nuffield Foundation (UK)
* NWO (Holland)
* Polish National Science Centre
* Singapore Ministry of Education
* SSHRC (Canada)
* Swiss National Science Foundation
|London School of Economics, 1989.|
|Visiting Assistant Professor||Dartmouth College, 1989-1991|
|Senior Research Officer||University of Essex, 1991-1993|
|Visiting Research Fellow||CEPREMAP, 1993-1994|
|Visiting Research Fellow||DELTA, 1994-1995|
|Chargé de Recherche, CNRS||University of Orléans, 1997-2000|
|Directeur de Recherche, CNRS||University of Orléans, 2000-2001|
|Directeur de Recherche, CNRS||DELTA/PSE, 2001-|
Many many interesting things about fairness and well-being research can be found in the following places
Equally interesting things about football can be found in the following places
- Football results and gossip from the first five divisions in England can be found at soccernet.
- Are Leyton Orient the worst team in London? This site will let you know.
- Are you sad enough to want to know the results from League Division Eight? See here then.
- US Palaiseau! Easily the best team in, er, Palaiseau.
And we all know that you can never listen to enough music while you're working.
- Who Said Hip-Hop was Dead? Quannum and Solesides refute the case.
- And check out Deep Puddle Dynamics for some serious What The Hell moments.
- Who Said Finns Can't Rap? Oh look, here's another one. And what's more....broken beats, sub-bass and grainy video: Antiall have it all. I used to have a link to them, but it has disappeared into the Ether....
- Wobbly Ambient Electronica is cool. Boards of Canada's turntable is playing at the wrong speed.
- Who Said a Triple Lead Guitar Attack was Passé? Run for the hills (of Arkansas), where Black Oak Arkansas will show you what you've been missing (nice washboard too).
- Uspenski Cathedral in Helsinki has a pretty good choir. Check out the bass.
- How minimal can you get? Richie Hawtin knows.
- I can't remember the way you used to be: the Charlatans (UK).
- Doors......lead to other doors. The Associates.
- This Ain't Really Life; It's Nothing But A Movie. Gil Scott-Heron.
- With a movie camera - The Cinematic Orchestra.
- And more radio than you can throw a stick at: Iceberg Radio.
- Any label which signed Don Armando's Second Avenue Rhumba Band is OK with me: Ze Records.
- Bass for your Face: Public Enemy.
- Groove Salad: "Listener-supported, commercial-free, underground/alternative radio broadcasting from San Francisco". That's what it says on their website.
- Damon and Naomi. Listen to Beautiful Close Double....and weep.
- Finger Licking Good Y'All. Time to remember how good Trouble Funk were.
- I reckon Burial is ice-washed deep-space soul. But then again what the hell do I know?
- This is the best ever old-school song; unfortunately so is this. No, wait a minute: this is surely even better...
- I like Fools' Gold as much as the next man or woman, but here's another total gem from the Stone Roses.
- Lemmy gives his opinion on certain journal referees. Actually it's Larry Wallis, ex-Pink Fairies, on vocals.
- Ah, preposterous: the magnificent I, Ludicrous.
- And what did Tim Gaine sound like before Stereolab, you ask? Actually like this Indie Wah-Wah classic. I seem to remember that McCarthy came from Barking, where I lived when I wrote my thesis. Or was that the Wolfhounds? Or the Godfathers?
- And all of this is just imagination: Shriekback.
- Being a moderately poor guitar player myself, I am partial to wig-outs. Here are two mighty fine ones, both old and new.
- Never liked KJ that much, but this is monstrous.
- Two minutes of horn-driven madness: The Ohio Players back in the days...
- And the Fear: What's that for?
- Alex Harvey helped to make me what I am today. It's his fault.
- Super Collider will melt your speakers: it's official.
- You Ain't Got the Bait to Hook This. Bahamadia.
- Dansez Dansez Yeah: San Fan Thomas.
- Dad on the Dance Floor alert. We are all Wicki Wacky
- Memories of Warwick Folk Club: the wonderful Mick Stuart
Dubious Links between Research and Music Department.
- The 2001 Economica paper includes lyrics from the great Eubie Blake.
- The 2008 International Journal of Manpower paper is named after a Billy Bragg song.
- The 2008 Economic Journal paper includes a line from Gimme a Bullet.
- The 2016 OUP chapter (the Bartolini one) contains a carefully-shoehorned lyric from Wham Rap.
- One of our religion papers was inspired by the monumental Black Oak Arkansas ("Our Religion Is Music")
- Our new work on Adaptation in the East will, I hope, include a line from Billy Bragg's St Swithin's Day.
- The short summary paper in Keio Economic Studies is named after a Rush song (I know, I know).
- The Introduction to the November EJ Features contains a reflection on Chicory Tip.
- I would like to write a paper on the absence of compensating differentials called "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap". But I probably won't.
Identify the Lyrics Department. Know which songs these come from?
- "Here I am, growing up and growing old. Watching my friends swallow cultures whole"
- "Jobs for the boys, and a tip for the wrecking crew. Truth of it is that it's plain you've not got a clue"
- "Your words twist and decay, nothing you say reaches my ears anyway"
- "These are Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children"
- "You and I we need each other just the same. You need me to laugh at and I need you to blame"
- "I only played chess once in my life, and I lost"
- "People down there drink home-made beer, things ain't changed for a hundred years"
- "Come on Boys, Dump the Car. Line another Drink up on the Bar"
- "There'll be another Bicentennial before I hear the truth from your mouth"
Past Proud Lyrics Department Winners
- "Alabama would be heaven if the Lord was there" ["Willie Jones" by the Charlie Daniels Band, identified by Abel Brodeur, University of Ottawa]
- "How do you come to be having fun with everyone but me girl?" ["Hypnotise" by Scritti Politti; identified by Aru Bhartiya, PSE]
- "If it doesn't work out, Yo: it just doesn't. If it wasn't meant to be, you know: It just wasn't" ["Paper Thin" by MC Lyte; identified by Alan Piper, University of Flensburg]
- "I couldn't go to work today as Bigfoot stole my car" ["Truth is out of Style" by MC 900 Ft Jesus (with DJ Zero); identifed by Don Webber, Bristol Business School]
Terrible Bands in which I Massacred the Guitar Department.
- The Theydon Boys
- Bozo (The Drinking Man's Rock Band)
The first and third of these actually played in public. The first in a Church music competition (we lost), and the third at Libby Morris's birthday party (Libby - wherever you are - you didn't deserve that). The second was the punk period band. Our version of Ever Fallen in Love (RIP Pete Shelley) was unique. We all knew bits of the song, but not the same bits, and not at the same speed. Plus we didn't have a drummer.